Skip to main content

Unai Emery explains decision to replace Mesut Ozil at half-time vs Brighton




Arsenal manager Unai Emery says his decision to replace Mesut Ozil at halftime was tactical. 
The Gunners were held to a 1-1 draw Brighton & Hove Albion after taking an early lead at Falmer Stadium on Boxing Day, but the Seagulls were able to equalise before the break.

Is Mesut Ozil’s Arsenal future uncertain? Five key things to know…

  1. Ozil has started 12 out of 19 Premier League games this season, being subbed off in five of those appearances.
  2. Arsenal manager Unai Emery has insisted the German has a future at the club.
  3. Turkish Super Lig leaders Istanbul Basaksehir have expressed their desire to sign Ozil should they have the opportunity.
  4. Arsenal’s No.10 has created more chances (23) than any other teammate in the Premier League.
  5. His withdrawal after 45 minutes against Brighton was the first time he has been replaced at half-time at Arsenal.
Emery was lambasted by Arsenal fans on social media when his side took to the field after the break without their playmaker in chief Mesut Ozil, who had been replaced by Alex Iwobi.
Reports of a rift opening up between the pair have circulated ever since Emery arrived at the Emirates in the summer, and his decision on the south coast has added more fuel to that rumour mill. However, the Arsenal boss insists his decision was a tactical one.
“It was tactical. It’s the same every match. Sometimes I change it tactically when I need something to change,” Emery said in an interview with the BBC.


Regarding the result, Emery said: “I’m a little disappointed. I think the first half was key in the match.
“We started winning and had another two chances, and they saved from Aubameyang.”
Emery’s use of substitutes have proven effective during his first campaign, as the Gunners have the most goals and assists from substitutes this season.
However, Ozil’s absence was felt in the second half as Emery’s players could only muster one shot on Brighton’s goal in the second half.
“We didn’t concede (many) chances for them but they drew level. Second half we could not impose our game plan. We did not make more clear chances to win the match,” Emery added.
“It’s our process, we are leaving one process with the team. We can continue in our way with this point. It would be better if we won but I think the team worked well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London club keen on signing £45m-rated France international

Arsenal desperate to sign PSG midfielder Adrien Rabiot and set to battle with Chelsea, Barcelona and Liverpool for the player. Gunners have problems in the midfield as Aaron Ramsey preparing to change the working place and his replacement is necessary. France international is the best option in this situation as he started this season excellently and proved his greatness one more time. Unai will do everything to add him during this winter transfer window. Blues, Blaugrana and Reds also keen to sign him and there will be a real battle for the footballer. His price could increase and become much more. Rabiot is a product of the Parisians youth academy and spent his current career with them. He is one of the best midfielders in Ligue 1 and unchanged figure for the club.   In this campaign, Adrien already played 20 matches, scored 2 goals and made 2 assists in all competition. This is an impressive result and he can improve his consequences during th...

Arsenal midfielder Ozil in doubt for Blackpool

Mesut Özil is in doubt for Arsenal's FA Cup third-round tie with Blackpool on Sunday. The German has not played since being substituted at half-time in the Boxing Day draw with Brighton. He has been sidelined with a knee injury ever since, missing out on matches against Liverpool and Fulham. And Emery has hinted he could spend another week on the sidelines to recover. When asked if Oil would be involved against the League One outfit, the Spaniard told reporters at London Colney: "This morning, he didn't train.

Emery confirms worrying transfer news for Arsenal on Thursday

Arsenal manager Unai Emery has confirmed some worrying news for Arsenal fans with less than three weeks now left in the January transfer window.   The Arsenal boss managed to sign several players during the summer but most of the deals were for a cheap price, significantly lesser than what rivals Chelsea and Liverpool were paying for their new signings. Club owner Stan Kroenke has been criticised by most fans for refusing to spend enough money when needed in the transfer market. Following the recent 5-1 humiliation away to Liverpool in the Premier League which exposed most of the team’s serious problems, several fans have been calling for signings to be made this month. However, speaking on transfers at his press conference on Thursday morning, Unai Emery revealed that the club is not financially capable of making any permanent purchases of players at the moment. Thus, the Arsenal boss insists that loans deal will be the Gunners’ best bet in the January transfer windo...